Purpose of the PAACO Scholarship
The Pueblo African-American Concern Organization (PAACO) Scholarship is designed to encourage African American and minority students to attend accredited institutions of higher education and to assist them with staying in college. The PAACO Board of Directors hopes that this scholarship program will assist in increasing the number of African-American and minority students who enter and complete college.
Scholarship Eligibility Requirements
Submission Period: (Closed) JANUARY 1, 2023 - MARCH 31, 2023.
1. Preference will be given to African-American applicants, however all students will be considered for the scholarship.
2. Preference will be given to applicants who have graduated from southern Colorado high schools or who have recently attended Colorado State University-Pueblo or Pueblo Community College.
3. Applicants must have a 2.5 high school or college grade point average (GPA).
4. Applicants must provide some indication/evidence of financial need, (copy of latest income tax return, W-2, city, county or state agency verification, or Federal Financial Aid application (FFS).)
5. Applicant must be a U.S. citizen.
6. Email Application to: Paaco1992@gmail.com.
Scholarship Renewal Requirements
1. Applicant must maintain a 2.5 cumulative GPA each semester & submit updated official transcripts to PAACO each semester.
2. Must provide documentation of 20 hours of community service for each semester a scholarship is awarded.
3. Must submit an updated scholarship application for each school year.
1. Recipients will be awarded $500 per semester for eight semesters (total of 4 years) provided they enroll in 12 or more credit hours at an accredited institution of higher education.
2. This must be for a first-time degree only.
3. Recipients who have received the PAACO scholarship and maintain a 2.5 GPA are required to reapply for the scholarship.
4. Recipients must provide PAACO with an “official” college transcript to verify the completion of the required credit hours and GPA.
5. Provide a release of information form to your college or university so that a PAACO representative can obtain required information for verification of enrollment at the beginning of the semester and also have the ability to access university records at the completion of each semester. (A university/college form or a handwritten and signed statement by the student.)
Requirements for a complete application package:
Transcripts – An applicant who has never attended college must submit official high school transcripts to verify GPA 2.5).
• An applicant who has not completed more than 12 college credits must submit a copy of both their high school and college transcripts.
• An applicant who has completed 12 or more college credits must submit an “official” college transcript.
Essay – Applicant must write a 250-word essay on the topic "Why I Deserve a PAACO Scholarship".
Personal Bio - Applicants must submit a one-page biography which includes college goals and a description of community, school, or civic organizations' involvement.
Letters - Applicants must submit three (3) recent letters of recommendation from instructors, principals, counselors, employers, or academic advisors. Letters from relatives are not acceptable.
Financial Aid Documentation - Applicants must include documentation of financial need which may include; copies of income tax forms, W-2, Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
Application - A complete PAACO Scholarship Application.
Failure to submit all of the above-required information will result in your application not being processed.
Helpful hints for filling out your PAACO Scholarship Application
1. Read all instructions
2. Make sure you answer all the questions asked in the application.
3. Consider making a photocopy of the application to use as a draft.
4. Think about what you want to say about why you want the scholarship and your future educational plans.
5. Consider writing several drafts of your essay.
6. Have someone objective proofread your essay for content and language usage.
7. Write neatly and legibly or use a computer.
8. Make certain to submit all materials by the stated deadline.
9. If you have questions, call or write to the Scholarship Committee for help.
10. If you move or change phone numbers, inform PAACO and your college immediately.